Metal expansion joints are designed to protect exhaust scrubber systems and their connected equipment, as the scrubber, or exhaust gas cleaning system, can be susceptible to damage from vibrations and movements. Typical scrubber expansion joints are made of the highly corrosive and seawater-resistant material AL-6XN.
What is a Metal Expansion Joint?
Metal Bellows Expansion Joints are often used to compensate for thermal expansion or contraction of piping systems or as parts of pressure vessels. They can be any apparatus containing one or more bellows, designed to absorb movement and/or vibration within a pipeline, duct or vessel; or vibrations in engines, motors, pipes, etc.
The bellows is a flexible element consisting of one or more corrugations (or convolutions) and the straight, unconvoluted end tangents at the end of the bellows.
H.S. White is a Full Service Engineering Organization offering a complete range of metal expansion joint products in the highest grades of stainless steel as well as other special alloys including Monel®, Inconel®, & Hastelloy®. Options for metal expansion joints include PTFE-lined, universally-tied, in-line pressure-balanced, externally-pressurized, Gimbal, and hinged, among other configurations.
TYPES OF METAL EXANSION JOINTS & BELLOWS
SINGLE BELLOWS EXPANSION JOINTS
“MATCHLESS” Metal Bellows are manufactured from solution annealed A/SA240 321SS sheet rolled into a tube and seam welded. Multi-ply bellows can be designed and manufactured based on the application and design requirements. We carry a wide variety of materials available to design and manufacture bellows.
DUAL BELLOWS EXPANSION JOINTS
Dual expansion joints are used where axial movement is larger than can be absorbed by a single expansion joint. The dual assembly consists of two single bellows connected by an interconnecting weld end.
ELBOW PRESSURE BALANCE UNITS
- Absorbs axial and/or lateral deflection
- Continuously restrains pressure force
- Creates an equal and opposite force to the working bellows
EXTERNALLY PRESSURIZED BELLOWS
- Squirm free
- Maintenance free
- Self-limiting and guiding
- Drain Connection
- Permits angular rotation in only one plane
- Uses hinge hardware and pins
- Designed to restrain pressure thrust and any extraneous forces
GIMBAL PIPE BELLOWS
- Permits angular rotation in any plane
- Uses 2 pairs of hinges
- Restrains pressure thrust and any extraneous forces
- Greater flexibility of usage
Metal Expansion Joints & Bellows Features:
- Custom Designed and pre-engineered
- High Pressure and high temperature ratings. Exact ratings depend on the design.
- Corrugated 316 and 321 stainless steel annular metal hose liner
- Monel®, Hasteloy®, and Inconel® available
- Close pitch and Open pitch designs
- With or without single or double braid cover
- Rubber cover available
- Flanged and threaded end fittings
- Designs conform to EJMA ASME Section VIII, B31.1 and B31.3
- Fittings area welded on by ASME IX certified welders
- 3D CAD modeling
- Testing options include pneumatic, hydrostatic, high-pressure gas, liquid penetrants, helium mass spectrometry, and X-ray
- Certifications available
- Very Large diameter designs available
- MADE IN THE USA
Quality control is rigorous, and our expansion joints comply with U.S. Coast Guard requirements. Our designs incorporate the latest recommendations of the Expansion Joint Manufacturers Association and certification is also available. We can custom fabricate to your requirements.